Ohio State University Announces Preliminary Trial Results
The Ohio State University recently announced the top 10 plants selected through its consumer preference evaluation from the Summer Annual Trial Program.
Trial coordinators reported varying weather for the past months. Spring and early summer were slightly cooler than average but had adequate rainfall, resulting in slightly smaller and less developed plants. Early July temperatures returned to average and plants recovered quickly. No serious disease or pest problems were observed in the field.
Consumer preference evaluation scores were based on a scale of one to five, with one being “liked least” and five being “liked most.” The top 10 plants in order of their composite average score:
- Petunia ‘Easy Wave Plum Vein’, Pan American Seed: 4.6
- Petunia ‘Sanguna Lipstick’, Syngenta: 4.6
- Petunia ‘Jamboree Hot Pink’ Syngenta: 4.58
- Marigold, ‘Ameriseed 45-Yellow’, Ameriseed: 4.56
- Petunia ‘Petitunia Happy Dream’, Danziger: 4.56
- Coleus ‘Versa Crimson Gold’, Pan American Seed: 4.56
- Marigold ‘Babuda Deep Gold’, Ameriseed: 4.54
- Euphorbia ‘White Manaus’, Grolink: 4.49
- Ornamental pepper ‘Purple Flash’, Pan American Seed: 4.46
- Rudbeckia ‘Denver Daisy’, Benary: 4.44
For a complete list of all the year’s varieties and ratings, or for previous year’s results, visit floriculture.osu.edu.