Getting Ready for 2019
Did you know that 2019 is the Year of Snapdragon, Salvia nemorosa, Dahlia and Pumpkin?
National Garden Bureau has selected these four crops for its popular “Year of the” program and recently announced that promotional marketing materials for the four classes are now available on National Garden Bureau’s website: www.ngb.org.
Every year, National Garden Bureau members and its board of directors select plant classes that consumers can grow successfully. Each “Year of the” choice is easy to grow, genetically diverse and includes lots of new varieties — all traits that will help consumers and their gardens flourish.
The 2019 selections are:
- Annuals: Year of the Snapdragon — A nostalgic plant that has been updated for today’s garden.
- Perennials: Year of the Salvia nemorosa — Commonly known as Woodland Sage and a great food source for pollinators.
- Vegetables/edibles: Year of the Pumpkin — A wide variety of sizes, shape and colors make this a very fun class to promote!
- Bulbs: Year of the Dahlia — Highlighted in cooperation with the American Dahlia Society, a respected organization that helped make the NGB dahlia photo library the most extensive in “Year of” history!
To help growers, retailers and other industry professionals spread the word and the use of this program, NGB offers free promotional materials. At www.ngb.org, you will find the following downloadable materials for each crop:
- A fun and interesting Fact Sheet
- A multitude of photos from members
- Watercolor logos
- A PowerPoint presentation
- A printable flyer
- An 8 x 10 inch sign
- A 5 x 7 inch sign
- “Did You Know” Fun Facts
- Posters are available for a nominal fee
Publicity of the 2019 “Year of the” choices began in August at the GWA Annual Meeting. Publicity direct to the consumer will begin in January 2019 — but you can start promoting the crops today! These tools will help you reach the home garden industry and encourage gardening with these specific crops.
Even though there are still six weeks left in 2018, it is time to get ready for 2019!