SNA’s Sidney B. Meadows Fund Hands Out Scholarships
The Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Fund, created in 1989 by the Southern Nursery Association (SNA), has announced the names of 12 students from seven southeastern universities chosen to receive academic scholarships this year.
The $1,500 awards, totaling $18,000, has been presented to the following scholars:
- Ruqayah Hamida Bhuiyan, University of Georgia, Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Scholarship
- Crystal Jones Conner, University of Florida
- Morgan Rose Gramlich, University of Arkansas, Dr. James & Faye Foret Scholarship
- Paige Leigh Herring, North Carolina State University
- Kaylee Elizabeth Ites, Texas A&M University, Lee C. Howell Scholarship
- Mary Elizabeth Lewis, University of Georgia, Robert L. VanLandingham Scholarship
- Isaac Barak Luhrs, University of Tennessee
- Ariana Rhiannon Newton, West Virginia University
- Angelia Dynette Ryker, University of Tennessee
- Carlee Steppe, University of Florida
- Tia Tyler, University of Florida
- MaKayla B. White, North Carolina State University, Art & Mille Lancaster Scholarship
Scholarship recipients are determined through a competitive application process, administered by a selection committee, based on academics, determination, demonstrated interest in the horticulture industry, and financial need. Of the twelve students, six are graduate students and six under graduate.
“Congratulations to this exemplary group of students who have excelled academically and demonstrated determination and a passion for horticulture,” said Danny Summers, Executive Vice President of the fund.
“We continue to hear from recipients how important these awards are in reducing their financial stress allowing them the ability to concentrate more on their studies. I am confident each of these students will make an effective and positive contribution to our industry. I look forward to seeing their accomplishments as they complete their studies,” he added.
With this year’s awards, the fund has awarded a total of $522,000 since the fund was established in 1989.
The Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Endowment Fund is a 501 (c) 3 corporation providing scholarships to students who are residents of the sixteen southeastern states pursuing a career in horticulture.
An application for 2019 scholarships will be available online by Jan. 1, 2019. More details can be found at www.sbmsef.org.