SNA’s Sidney B. Meadows Fund Awards Scholarships
The Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Fund, created in 1989 by the Southern Nursery Association (SNA), has announced the names of 12 students from nine Southeastern universities chosen to receive academic scholarships this year. Seven of the awards are named scholarships honoring past industry leaders. Each award of $1,500, totaling $18,000, has been presented to the following excelling scholars:
- Jordan McKenzie Baylor, University of Georgia (Robert L. Vanlandingham Scholarship)
- Kelby Jade Biswell, University of Arkansas
- Justin Todd Bratcher, University of Georgia (Richard J. Hackney Scholarship)
- Elizabeth Coleman, University of Georgia
- Kristopher S. Criscione, Louisiana State University (Dr. James & Faye Foret Scholarship
- Hunter Leigh Hall, University of Mount Olive
- Jonathan Alexander Hampton, Auburn University (Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Scholarship)
- Shelby Grace Horton, Texas A&M University (Lee C. Howell Scholarship)
- Emma Cate Plouzek Morris, University of Maryland (Art & Millie Lancaster Scholarship)
- Martine Patiance Bowombe Toko, Tennessee Tech University (Dr. Bryson L. James Scholarship)
- William C. Tolley, Western Kentucky University
- Zia Valerie Williamson, University of Georgia
“Congratulations to this exemplary group of students who have excelled academically and demonstrated determination and a passion for horticulture,” said Danny Summers, executive vice president of the fund. “We continue to hear from recipients how important these awards are in reducing their financial stress allowing them the ability to concentrate more on their studies. I am confident each of these students will make an effective and positive contribution to our industry in the future.”
With this year’s awards, the fund has awarded a total of $558,000 since the fund was established in 1989. The fund’s current assets are now more than $880,000. Eight named funds have been pledged to date: The Larry D. Edwards Fund, the Dr. James & Faye Foret Fund, the Richard J. “Dick” Hackney Fund, Sr. Fund, the Lee C. Howell Fund, the Dr. Bryson L. James Fund, the Arthur A. “Buck” Jones Fund, the Art & Millie Lancaster Fund, and the Robert L. VanLandingham Fund. The financial support offered by the fund has allowed many students the opportunity to work toward their educational goals.
The Sidney B. Meadows Scholarship Endowment Fund provide scholarships to students who are residents of the 16 Southeastern states SNA represents — Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia — pursuing a career in horticulture. The scholarship is dedicated to one of the most honored horticultural leaders, the late Sidney B. Meadows, a Past President of the Southern Nursery Association, who was an avid supporter of student scholarships and believed that providing aid for students was an important way to ensure the growth and development of all facets of the industry.
An application for 2021 scholarships will be available online by January 1, 2021. Those interested in receiving scholarship information or the latest fund news can subscribe to the automated information system on the fund’s website.
More details on scholarship recipients can be found at www.sbmsef.org.