Burpee Releases Garden Trend Forecast
Burpee recently released the 2021 Burpee GardenCast, its first-ever gardening trend forecast. Informed by cultural trends and industry predictions, GardenCast provides valuable information that will inspire novice and expert home gardeners.
“We estimate more than 18 million new gardeners entered the category in 2020,” says George Ball, Burpee executive chairman. “As they enter their second year, Burpee wants to guide them to garden with confidence. Through the trends highlighted in the GardenCast, new and seasoned gardeners alike will be inspired as they explore new ideas this year.”
Burpee leveraged a panel of internal and external experts to craft the 2021 GardenCast, including Ball himself and former Royal Horticulture Society judge Simon Crawford. HGTV star Kelly Edwards added her expertise in the décor space, and registered dietitian Marisa Moore, MBA. RDN. LD. contributed nutritional expertise to the project.
Based on insights gleaned from the past 12 months, the Burpee GardenCast panel identified five emerging trends for 2021:
- The Quiet Garden: A calming garden full of blue and lilac Impatiens and ornamental grasses like Carex and Pancium provides soothing hues and gentle sounds that lull you into a peaceful state of mind.
- Garden of Joy: A flower bed full of bright “faces and eyes,” including Pansy and Viola, is sure to inspire many smiles of pure happiness.
- World Herb Garden: Easy-to-grow herbs like Basil, Dill and Cilantro satisfy your wanderlust without ever leaving your own backyard and add punchy international flavors to your recipes.
- Rise of Meatless Monday: Embrace plant-based eating with a garden full of innovative, Burpee exclusive vegetables with dense flesh and succulent textures like Summer Squash, Eggplant and Turnips – fresh and flavorful additions to your meatless meals.
- The Immunity Garden: Get healthy in your own backyard with a garden full of vibrant vegetables like Winter Squash, Radishes and Tomatoes, all of which can help you fully commit to a nutrient-rich diet that strengthens your immune system.