NBG Relaunches Green Thumb Award
The National Garden Bureau (NGB) has announced it is continuing the popular Green Thumb Award, which was a program developed and managed by the former Direct Gardening Association.
“We are very glad to see that National Garden Bureau is restarting the Green Thumb Award!,” said Niles Kinerk from Gardens Alive. “It is great that we can recognize new plants and products and give smaller companies like ours an opportunity for consumer recognition.”
NGB will recognize the Green Thumb Awards in late 2021 for NGB members’ garden products that are unique, technologically innovative, solve a gardening problem or provide a gardening opportunity and appeal to gardeners. Winners will be chosen by a panel of industry professionals. All NGB members are invited to enter their new products. The Green Thumb Award recognizes outstanding new garden products providing a way to validate and promote those products to consumers.
“The Green Thumb Award is an exciting program that aligns well with NGB’s mission to Inspire, Connect and Grow,” shared NGB Vice-President Jeannine Bogard from Syngenta Flowers. “Our membership is ready, willing and able to evaluate, vet and provide our ‘thumbs-up’ to the best new garden items of the year.”
2021-2022 Program Timing:
- July 2021: Submissions begin
- September 30, 2021: Deadline for Submission
- November 2021: Winners determined by panel
- December 1, 2021: Winners notified
- December 30, 2021: Green Thumb web page goes live
- January 2, 2022: Consumer promotions begin
- Summer 2022: Winners recognized at the AAS/NGB Summer Summit
NGB members may submit between one and four products based on their membership level. There are three categories: hard goods, edible live goods and ornamental live goods. Submissions can begin now with the links provided to members via email.
- Platinum ($5,000) – a total of four new products in any category
- Gold ($3,500) – a total of three new products in any category
- Silver ($2,000) – a total of two new products in any category
- Sponsor ($1,000) – one new product in any category
- Member ($500 and below) – limit of one product at a fee of $250
For more information about the program, please contact NGB Executive Director Diane Blazek or call 630.963.0770.