Culture Report: Pelargonium ‘Pinki Pinks’
Pelargonium ‘Pinki Pinks’ from Jaldety Nurseries is an unusual species in the Geraniaceae family. When looking for great color effects paired with a long-blooming, drought- and wind-tolerant plant perfect for just about any garden setting, this variety could quickly become one of your favorites!
‘Pinki Pinks’ is a low-growing perennial shrub with a naturally compact and well branching habit. Its butterfly-like vibrantly bright pink flower clusters sits on long slender dark cascading stems that rise high above its lacy, ruffled green foliage. Such elegant form makes this plant a natural favorite for bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. Unlike other pelargonium relatives, ‘Pinki Pinks’ does not get leggy, even under suboptimal light conditions. This plant will bloom profusely from spring through early winter, giving gardeners endless surprises throughout the seasons.
A highly versatile perennial, ‘Pinki Pinks’ presents a classic look that makes it suitable for cottage gardens, Mediterranean gardens, wild gardens, rock gardens and coastal style gardens. The showy flower stems stand out in hanging baskets, containers and flower boxes as the centerpiece, but the compact habit also makes it equally suitable to play a complementary role in container combinations. It also works well as an excellent groundcover, border plantings and in smaller herbaceous garden creations. They can be used along stone paths, wall trailers and as fillers in steep slopes.
Don’t be fooled by their gentle flowers and light delicate scents. This tough little species thrives in a wide range of environmental conditions as pelargonium ‘Pinki Pinks’ is very water-usage efficient plant with strong wind and heat tolerance.
Established plants will thrive in full sun but also will grow well and stay low and compact under partial shade. With this quality combination, they are especially suited for areas where extreme temperatures are possible throughout the seasons. Pelargonium ‘Pinki Pinks’ has high longevity and great success in modern gardens where water often is of concern.
Whether it is water restrictions in the summer time or warmer drier summer days across the country, this plant thrives year round because of its drought tolerance and easy-to-care nature. For gardeners living in wetter, rainier conditions, pelargonium ‘Pinki Pinks’ will also handle wet conditions well, provided that the bed soils are free and well draining.
Once established, ‘Pinki Pinks’ will mature to 12 to 16 inches in height and 20 to 25 inches in breadth and densely in habit. Growth rate is moderate, and it is safe to use in combinations with no worries that it will take over the combination. In extreme climates, this plant will benefit growing in the protection of other shrubs. It is hardy to Zones 7 through 10.
- Rooting time at the rooting area is four weeks at 70° F. Rooting hormone can be beneficial to help roots establish faster.
- Crop time is eight to 10 weeks using one liner in a 5- to 6-inch pot, and becomes 11 to 13 weeks when using two to three liners per hanging basket (8 to 10 inches) or larger containers. Take care to use a well-draining and clean soil, and maintain the pH around 5.5 to 6.0.
- After planting, water and fertilize the plants moderately. Fertilizer requirements are 200- to 250-ppm nitrogen. Let soil dry in between watering, and do not over water.
- Light requirement is 4,000 to 6,000 foot- candles and plants will benefit from high light conditions.
- Growing day temperature range is 65° to 70° F and night temperature 50° to 60° F.
- Production in small pots does not need pinching while in bigger pots and hanging baskets, plants could be pinched once.
- Growth regulators are not required to maintain the compact habit. Disease and pests: Watch out for spider mite and Botrytis and follow normal greenhouse pest and disease prevention/control programs.